Transmitting HDBaseT ethernet signals over Powerlines

HomeForumsWelcome to the Installer Zone Forum!Transmitting HDBaseT ethernet signals over Powerlines

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  namarang@protonmail.com 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rajesh
    HDBaseT Member

Hi All,

I have a unique situation with one of my customer. who’s design of the residential property has limitation in the way wires can be run across his Display unit (Television) and his receiver setup.

I am designing a solution to use a 4k HDBaseT receiver/transmitter setup. The problem is he does not have a way to run a new CAT6 line to the receiver location.

Can i take the concept of “internet over power lines” and use those adapters for connecting the HDBaseT ethernet cables and still receive the signals on the other end over POWER LINE?

Daniel Shwartzberg
    HDBaseT Alliance

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately this is not a viable proposition for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the powerline adaptor is expecting to see/drive an Ethernet signal on the cable, when what is will actually see is HDBaseT signalling and protocol. So it will not even be able to establish a link with the HDBaseT equipment (note that if the HDBaseT equipment supports Ethernet fallback mode, then it should be able to establish a link BUT only 100M Ethernet can be carried, not all the HDBaseT traffic).

Secondly, even if a link could be established, HDBaseT operates using an 8Gb/s (spec version 1.0 and 2.0) or 16Gb/s (spec 3.0) asymmetrical link. This far exceeds the bandwidth that the protocols used for powerline communications are capable of (and probably that the copper wiring is capable of). For example, Homeplug AV2 protocol supports a peak speed of 1300Mb/s, meaning that it can run up to 1G Ethernet.

So as I said at the start my answer, unfortunately this is not possible.

Daniel

namarang@protonmail.com
    HDBaseT Member

I did this using a telephone line, not electricity.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.